Remember how I said I'm not crazy about renting a house?
Yeah. That hasn't changed. Today, if you were here, you'd see my ugliest, ugliest side. We have a great landlord--thorough and considerate, but I swear to you, since we moved in there's been someone (usually some random guy) working on some part of this house.
1. The house has been repainted. This was about a week-long process, maybe more, in which there were two men outside (right in the windows) all day long. The windows were taped shut. I'd be working and see a man's face reflected from behind me in my laptop. It was really unnerving and invasive. Did I mention annoying?
2. The doorknob fell off and needed to be replaced. Another man came to fix it. Then he left. Then he came back. I had to be here for all of this.
3. The landscaper came. Put rocks around the trees.
4. I've had to clear out the crawl space four different times. There's NO storage here, so we have a LOT of stuff stacked in that crawl space. Yesterday I was clearing it out and took a huge gouge out of my finger. It bled for half an hour.
5. Today I was working in the living room when I saw a man's face in the backyard. I had no knowledge of a man (two it turns out) needing to do anything in the yard. They apparently needed to fix some wood rot. (Please hold. One of them is at my door.)
6. (I'm back.) Yesterday the furnace guy was here. I have no idea what he needed, but he was here. In the crawl space.
7. Someone came to blow out the sprinklers for the winter.
8. The landlord's been here three or four times. Some of it was stuff that we needed to be fixed... others, I have no idea. And yet, the knob still falls off of the shower and the drain in the bathroom is completely clogged.
You get the point.
Have i mentioned that I WORK FROM HOME?
Now, this could be because I literally did not sleep last night...perhaps that's why the snark-fest on my blog today. I could post about happy things and pretend that all is well, but seriously. I am SO OVER ALL THE "FIX-UPS" TO THIS HOUSE. I'm wondering why it wasn't done while the house was between tenants (for seven months, according to the neighbors.)
Yes. This is the ugly underbelly of moving. Spending an entire year in a space that's not yours. With not enough space for all your stuff. With men constantly in and out, invading my privacy every. single. day.
Today, I'm over it.
And in spite of ALL OF THIS. I know we're in the right place.
I'm going to stop now and try and focus on THAT for awhile. Wish me luck.
Oh, look, they're at my door again...
I am so over it.
To make matters worse, the banging on the house started today RIGHT at naptime.
RIght during my prime writing time.
And yes. I am upset.